Budding with the Pro-Grow 400 LED grow light
So begins another week in the Pro-Grow 400 test garden
As the weeks pass my tinkering becomes more precise. I’ve raised the Pro Grow 400 to a consistent height of 28 inches above the canopy. Though the plants showed no signs of light stress and the 400 is on a light-mover, a 22 inch distance seemed overkill for now. Perhaps we’ll raise a few plants closer as needed or indicated, but for now stretching is minimal, nodes are tight, white hairs are popping up everywhere… all is going very well!
Here is a quick overview of the plants in the Bloom-Room, under the Pro-Grow 400:
Plant: Blue Mystic "D" - Week 1 of Bloom
Blue Mystic “D” (BM-D), the D is for a faint dill like aroma of the cured buds off this one. We mothered this strain form a previous grows, The original seed was sprouted from a self-pollenated Blue Mystic parent. Oddly, I kept this one around not because I particularly like it, but her fast developing buds are dense, sticky and matured by week 6 into 7, make for a great “test strain” for experimenting with lights, nutrients, hydro vs. soil, etc. This is also the very same strain growing under a Pro-Grow 180 in a 6 gallon Bubbleponics set-up (DWC/Hydro) in another journal.
Plant: White Widow #3 - Week 1 Bloom
This is White Widow #3 (WW-III), her sibling plant #2 went hermaphrodite a bit ago and was pulled from the room. WW-III was put in at about 6 – 7 weeks from seed, a bit younger than I’d hoped, but is kicking up white hairs and in bloom.
Plant: Blue Mystic "G" - Week 2 Bloom
This is the second run of plant Blue Mystic “G” (BM-G), she is a mother I’m retiring. She bloomed about a season ago, and despite a bad potassium lockout, produced plentiful medium sized, sticky buds with a pine-berry aroma. I was impressed, so we kept her for cuttings. Unfortunately her cuttings will not take, they all begin to auto-flower in their second week of rooting and produce neither healthy roots or flowers. So I boosted her soil/root mass with organics and goodies and set her back to 12/12, she is budding up nicely!
Plant: Aurora Indica #2 - Week 2 bloom
I wanted a hard-hitting “body” strain, so we opted for Nirvana Seed’s “Aurora Indica“. Plant #2 (AI #2) looks to be all an indica (or indica dominant) strain should be; short, stocky, fat leaves with dense bud sites. Although she was young & sent to 12/12 at just under week 7 from seed, she began forming tight white hair clusters almost immediately. I may have to set her back from the light a bit, to get at least somestretch from her.
Plant: Aurora Indica #1 - Week 2 bloom
Aurora Indica #1 (AI #1), Although a week or 2 ahead of AI #2, #1 took longer to start bloom. It may be due to her very Sativa-like phenotype, long thin finger leaf structure, good stretch at pre-bloom, but she began bloom after #2. AI #1 was suffering from a deficiency of sorts (see pic) with a variegated pattern of chlorosis in the leaves growing on the branch tips. The yellowing symptoms are alleviating, and her bloom is almost aggressive and easily surpassing AI #2′s growth. She has also been showing trichomes galore since the onset of bloom, AI #2 as of today has no visible trichome development.
Plant: Mystery Sativa "Bebe" - Week 6 Bloom
Meet Bebe, the Mystery Plant. Her above portrait does her no justice, I’ll have to post up some close ups soon!
Any seed is an adventure! People knock “bag-seed” (random seeds usually found in low quality commercial weed), many growers will not even sprout a “mystery seed” of unknown origin or genetics, I on the other hand like to explore & experiment. The “Bebe” seed was found by the love of my life (hence the nickname) on the ground in a very unlikely place. I kept it for a while, and decided to give it a go. I’m glad I did!
About 3 weeks after sprouting and under 18/6 lighting, Bebe declared female, and the following week looked as though it was in bloom, though it added more flowers, bloom just never took ( I probably should have let her try go longer), so by week 7 I put her in 12/12 (under 600w HSP) and she began to produce a dense mass of long thin leaves (think ‘Cousin It’) covering a emerging forest of white hairs. She was really struggling, showing severe potassium deficiency among a few other issues. Finally I changed the lighting to the Pro-Grow 400, adjusted feeding slightly and within 48 hours was rewarded with nice deep green new growth and by day 3 trichomes formed in epic proportion followed by a aroma/scent from heaven….